Helping your student obtain the best resources and support for Transition can be challenging and overwhelming. Fortunately,there are many organizations that support families of Transition Youth.  Your case manager at your student’s school can help you connect to the organization or agency that best fits his/her needs.  Below is a list of organizations that can help.

You can also access a working document of Support Agencies and Organizations here.

See also the Resources section in the Family Involvement tab

AbilityPath.org – Transition Resources for Families

Caring 4 Our Kids

We are a  group of parents who have children on the Autism Spectrum or who suffer from inflammatory diseases such as Chronic Fatigue Syndrome or Fibromyalgia. Recent studies suggest a link between these conditions.  We each know how overwhelming it can be when your child is first diagnosed.  As well, we understand the daily struggle as well as the joys of raising these very special children.  We have come together to curate and create resources that have been helpful to us in the hopes that these will help other parents struggling to care for and to help their children thrive.

The Center on Secondary Education for Students with Autism Spectrum Disorder   (CSESA) is a multi-site research and development center, a project funded by the U.S. Department of Education that focuses on developing, adapting, and studying a comprehensive school-based and community-based education program for high school students on the autism spectrum.CSESA is a five year project that brings together experts in autism, secondary education, adolescence, and implementation to work in collaboration with high schools, families, adolescents with ASD, and community members.

Guardianship Associates of Utah (GAU) is a non-profit organization. GAU provides direct Guardianship, Conservator and Trust services to individuals who have been deemed by a court of law to be incapacitated, incompetent or legally disabled. GAU contracts directly with the Office of Public Guardian in the State of Utah to provide services to individuals. GAU also provide private pay guardianship and conservator services for a fee.

GAU gives free presentations to family groups, schools, community groups and professional organizations about guardianship. GAU also has an Assisted Family Guardianship program to help families obtain guardianship for incapacitated family members who have reached the age of majority or have become incapacitated due to an illness, injury or a deteriorating condition.

How to support teenagers with autism through transitions

A blog post from the Special Education Guide website (www.specialeducationguide.com) which discusses supporting teenagers with autism spectrum disorder through transitions from the perspective of an individual with autism.

Life After IEPs – It’s Your Child’s Future

If you’re a parent or mentor of a young person with disabilities, Life After IEPs is for you.

Whether your child is an elementary student or a high school graduate, you’ll find information, resources, and support you’ll need along the way.

Office of Special Education and Rehabilitative Services (OSERS)

The Office of Special Education and Rehabilitative Services (OSERS) is committed to improving results and outcomes for people with disabilities of all ages.

The mission of the Utah Parent Center (UPC or Center) is to help parents help their children, youth and young adults with all disabilities to live included, productive lives as members of the community.

We accomplish our mission by providing accurate information, empathetic peer support, valuable training and effective advocacy based on the concept of parents helping parents.*

*The term parent is broadly defined to include anyone serving in that role.

Project Pride

Project PRIDE may be able to assist you.

The Rehabilitation Act states that: “Disability is a natural part of human experience and in no way diminishes the right of individuals to live independently, enjoy self-determination, make choices, contribute to society, pursue meaningful careers, and enjoy full inclusion and integration in the economic, political, social, cultural, and educational mainstream of American society.” Section 2(a)(3) of the Rehabilitation Act.

Parent Center Information: ALLIANCE 2008 Institutes


Fabricio Balcazar, Center for Capacity Building on Minorities with Disabilities Research, University of Illinois at Chicago

Secondary Transition/Post-School Outcomes Technical Assistance Centers (.pdf – 62KB) Comparison of IDEA, Section 504, ADA, and NCLB ’01 (.pdf – 50KB) Info Brief: Youth and Disability Disclosure: The Role of Families and Advocates (.pdf – 92KB) Career Development for Exceptional Individuals (HTML – 392KB) Self Determination: Supporting Successful Transition (.pdf – 260KB) Measuring Transition Success: Focus on Youth & Family Participation (.pdf – 1989KB) Post-School Outcomes Surveys: Coming Soon to a Student Near You! (.pdf – 191KB) Road to Self-Sufficiency: A Guide to Entrepreneurship for Youth with Disabilities (HTML – 101KB) What am I going to do after High School? – Teacher’s Guide (.pdf – 212KB) The 411 on Disability Disclosure: A Workbook for Youth with Disabilities (HTML – 112KB)

Vocational Rehabilitation services are provided under the State Office of Rehabilitation through programs located in both the Division of Rehabilitation Services (DRS) and Division of Services to the Blind and Visually Impaired (DSBVI).

Life is full of changes. Many times the changes will happen so smoothly that you hardly notice them. At other times, you need to plan and prepare for them. Students have dreams of the future and what they will do. This is the beginning of adulthood and it is an exciting time, full of opportunity, decisions, and choices. What do you want to do after high school?

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s